Saturday, October 21, 2006

Let's Talk Yankees, But No Transactions Until After The World Series

A week is too long to go without some Yankee news. I'm holding off all speculation on player moves until after the World Series. But that begs the question, what do we talk about? Here are some thoughts to hold us over.

One interesting possibility is the potential Yanks return of Joe Girardi, who was fired by the Marlins after one year as manager. Girardi was Joe Torre's bench coach in 2005 and, if a spot comes open on the Yanks' staff, he could be brought back if he hasn't signed on as a skipper elsewhere.
I wouldn't mind.
Jason Giambi underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn tendon in his left wrist yesterday and is expected to be ready for the opening of spring training. The surgery was performed by Dr. Andrew Weiland at the Hospital For Special Surgery in Manhattan.
He better be with all the money he's making.
The Yankees did not renew the contract of longtime senior vice president of media relations Rick Cerrone, who had been with the team for 11 seasons. No replacement for Cerrone was announced. "It was the best decision I ever made taking this job," Cerrone said in a telephone interview. He added, with a chuckle, that "it was 11 great years - which is 10 more than I thought it would be when I started." Cerrone - who was sometimes mistaken for former Yankee catcher Rick Cerone - also said, "I wouldn't have changed a thing. Working for Mr. (George) Steinbrenner was a privilege."
I thought he was the former player. Then again, I can't remember either one right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger TheJackSack said...

Well, if Girardi can get no managing job whatsoever, it might be a good move for him to become bench coach again. Of course, that leaves Mazz as the odd man out. Is Girardi a good fit for us? I don't know... I'm skeptical only based on the personality dynamics cited in the press re: Girardi (that he's hot-headed, that he's outspoken, etc.). Of course that sort of thing doesn't fly in the TAJT's presence, and Girardi knows that. But does Girardi make the Yanks better? I am not sure, and therefore I am against his returning.

Giambi is getting surgery because he needs it. Tony has railed against Giambi's lackluster playing during the last several weeks during the season, and well, there's your reason why he wasn't swinging the bat well-- he was legitimately hurt. Ironically, his surgeon's office is in the same building where Lidle's plane crashed. I am not sure the operation took place there, but it is a strange coincidence.

Rick Cerone (the catcher) can finally rest easy now that he won't be confused with our Media Relations guy. I hear the new guy the Yanks are hiring is named Michael Stanley.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home