Thursday, April 27, 2006

Bernie Williams

Friends,
A situation is definitely developing regarding Bernie. We seem to be approaching judgement day. He has been terrible. He has an OPS of well below .600. Should he be a full time bench player or does he deserve more time? Can he be an effective bench player? If he is destined for the bench, who should replace him?
True, Carlos Pena has hit some homeruns in the big leagues, but I would go with Cairo. Will another slugger who hits .240 add that much to the lineup? Cairo is a place-setter, and with a lineup as loaded as this one, that might be just what we need.
Thoughts?

-Steiner

2 Comments:

Blogger TheJackSack said...

I think Bernie is washed up.

I like Cairo's game, but I think Torre will lean towards Bernie all season. The big picture is that our 1-6 is the best in all of baseball, and even putting Posada as 7th, as the manager, you probably cut Bernie a little more slack. The problem is that you're potentially wasting at-bats by your 5-7 when you have someone as ineffective as Bernie coming up and getting that 2nd and/or 3rd out.

I like Cairo's defensive versatility and I like his approach at the plate. But man, do I miss Sierra.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Even Derek Jeter is not immune from the silliness of self evaluation in professional sports.

That whole, "I was more happy with the walk than the hits" or the "block instead of the touchdown" is such self-indulgent bullshit.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home