Wednesday, February 08, 2006

New Proposal

Guys, consider this proposal. I think there is something for everyone--more categories to keep it interesting, but a proportionally higher value for Avg./Power and ERA for those interested in making it more like the game on the field.

Offense: Avg., Slg., OBP., Hr, RBI, R

Defense: ERA, IP, W, WHIP, SV, K

In my system, I had Avg. and Slg. weighted twice the other categories. This proposal comes close to achieving that by including OBP and HR as categories, which will go mostly to Avg. and Slg. But, they bring in some other variables to make it more interesting.

The same with pitching. WHIP and ERA are closely related, and including IP will more accurately reflect the value of both. I don't like the win category, but you can't win them all.

I think this is a good compromise. Thoughts?

6 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

Fyi: OBP is "on base percentage," which is different from OPS "on base percentage plus slugging percentage." Since under this proposal we have Avg. and Slg., OPS is unnecessary.

10:49 AM  
Blogger TheJackSack said...

I really like bifurcating OPS into OBP and Slug. I hate IP-- again, if your concern is that we have "quality control" with the other pitching stats, we can hold managers to a minimum weekly IP requirement on Yahoo. There is zero talent measured by IP. But like the man says, you can't win them all. If this is kosher with the group, I'm behind the new proposal.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I didn't include SB, but we could. I'm fine without it based on the stuff Mark has said over the past few days. Also, if we omit it we have the same number of categories for offense/pitching, which seems like a good thing.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Dodort said...

I really like SB as a catagory, just because it makes a different type of player valuable. However, this looks fine in general, as has been said, you can't win them all.

2:34 PM  
Blogger TheJackSack said...

Tony, thank you for putting in all the thought and work into this. Yet again, you have shown yourself to possess a patient and vigorous intellect.

Once the season starts, we can look back at these great Lincoln-Douglas debates and chuckle. Tony: "The Cy Young Award is a sham!" Adam: "I still hate innings pitched, ya bum!"

2:43 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I'm happy with what we've come up with. The dialectic has yet again proven its worth, creating a league not entirely satisfying to the ideologues, but acceptable to all. Congratulations, my friends.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home