Sunday, January 28, 2007

"Goofy" Bernie Finally Comments

This is from a couple of days ago, but when I saw it today on Yankees.com I had to post it. I thought it was just classic Bernie. I love the line about being goofy. But ultimately it sounds like he is ready to accept that it is over for him.

Williams made his first public comments of the offseason to the Journal-News of Westchester (N.Y.) for Thursday's editions, taking a break as he pursued one of his other great passions -- jazz music -- as a special guest performer at a suburban New York club.

"I have come to a place in my career where there are other things in my life that have become just as important as baseball," Williams told the Journal-News. "If this is the end, there are no regrets. I gave it my best shot. One of the things I've always wanted was to gain the respect from my teammates, and I think I've done that.

"I may be a little goofy at times, but nobody can say I didn't play the game hard."

"Part of me says if they wanted me, they would have made an offer by now," Williams told the Journal-News. "When you play this game for a long time, you take things for granted and think it won't end. But the harsh reality of it is, it will."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Catch Critch. I didn't see this.

I want to say that I'm glad Bernie isn't going someplace else. I really dislike seeing a guy play for years on 1 team then go someplace else to finish his career.

I recall the great Beatle Paul McCarthy signing Bernie to his label years ago. Hopefully he can stick with that. Good for him.

Next stop, Monument Park.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I still think there might be room for Bernie if we trade Melky...

And there will never be a better time.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah trade Melky cause having a guy who can play everyday on the bench is a bad thing. And it's not like players ever get injured.

Last years injuries to Matsui and Sheffield were a fluke. Could never happen again.

Keep Melky
Send Phillips to AAA to learn to play the Outfield
Sign Bernie

Bernie retires after the season and Phillips becomes a 7 position platoon player.

4:46 PM  
Blogger TheJackSack said...

So here's what is going to happen: Bernie may get an invite to Spring Training, seeing how that goes he either gets an offer or they put him on the back-burner to come back during the season if/when space opens up. Bernie playing elsewhere seems to be out of the question based on these comments.

Jorge Posada's words must have swayed Bernie!

6:37 PM  
Blogger J. Marcavage said...

Bernie Williams is not a moth. He's a strong, beautiful man who should be in a Yankee uniform next year.

He reminds me of Jim Leyland, popping through the back of the press conference curtain with his eyes glowing like the clown in IT.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home